Sunday, January 18, 2009

Just so you know we do serious learning here! Lol!

Ever wondered about your childs learning style, what parts of their brain they most use for learning? or similar questions. Ever wonder why some mums tend to have wackier stories about what one of their dcs has been up to lately?

I think learning about and coming to recognise and understand my childrens learning styles, dominances and deficits, and how that relates to their brains has been the most useful topic of all the topics that I have studied on my homeschooling learning curve. It actually gave me a lot more confidence that we were doing well with the choice of unschooling or natural learning.

Here's a wee glimpse into the wacky world of Reuben..........

Last week I made soup, Reuben arrives "What can I eat?" "Please get some soup spoons out and I'll serve your soup now". I fill his bowl and turn around to find him standing there with 6 teaspoons all bent at 90 degree angles right where the handle leaves the bowl of the spoon....... He thinks in pictures, so when I asked for soup spoons his brain saw ladels, which he didn't find in the cutlery drawer, soupspoons just didn't fit the picture, so decided he'd better make some!

Today we had a simple meal of salad, and fish with garlic mashed potato, as I finished my meal, I looked at what Reuben was up to and was about to say "stop messing with your food" but didn't, as he was in the midst of a bit of a caricature artwork!

2 comments:

Leonie said...

Oh, I love how yur son thinks differently - and its true, we do all learn in different ways. The challenge for me is not to force MY way onto my dh and kids....

Shell (in NZ) said...

I've tagged you :0) Details on my blog- it's not a hard one, lol.